Rare set of 5 silver dog handled Knives, London 1839 by Storr & Mortimer.
A very rare set of 5 silver dog handled Knives, London 1839 by Storr & Mortimer. Each with pistol grip in the form of a dogs head, shell motif terminals, the carbon steel scimitar blades, stamped Storr & Mortimer. Handles fully hallmarked for London 1839, ISH for John Hunt of Storr & Mortimer. Length: 9 ¾ inches. Storr & Mortimer:- In 1819, Paul Storr went into partnership with John Mortimer and renamed the business Storr & Mortimer, trading from 13 New Bond St. Under the agreement Paul Storr was responsible for the silver manufacture and John Mortimer, the Jewellery and administration side of the business. However, by 1826 Mortimer had brought the firm to the verge of ruin. He mishandled the management of the business and the store was vastly overstocked. The crisis was averted, when in 1826, Paul Storrs nephew, John Samuel Hunt joined the partnership, bringing in 5000 pounds as capital. The business continued successfully from 1826-38. With an ever increasing influential clientele, they moved to 156 New Bond Street in 1838. Before the end of 1838, with constant disputes between Mortimer and Storr, matters came to a head with a large Chancery partnership action which was ultimately settled out of court. Storr, now 68, decided to retire. Before doing so, however, he arranged for John Samuel Hunts son, John, to come in as a junior partner. In 1839, the year of Storrs retirement, they entered their mark, IM over ISH crowned, and the firm was known as Mortimer & Hunt. In 1842, Mortimer retired.