McKinley National Memorial Association 1902

McKinley National Memorial Association 1902

Click thumbnails for expanded view.

McKinley National Memorial Association 1902

Add to Cart

  • $275.00

  • Quantity Available: 1

Beautifully engraved certificate from the Mr. Kinley National Memorial Association issued in 1902. This historic document was has an ornate border around it with a vignette of President McKinley, Lady Liberty, and the White House. This item is hand signed by the Associations’s President ( William R. Day ), Vice President ( Senator Hanna ) , Treasurer ( Myron ????) and Secretary ( Ryerson Ritchie ) and is over 100 years old. The certificate engraver was Tiffany & Co. On September 6th, President William McKinley held a public reception in the Temple of Music of the exposition. Hundreds of people were in line to shake his hand. An anarchist, Leon Czolgosz, approached among the guests, his right hand concealed in a bandage. It held a revolver. As he reached the president he fired. It was a senseless act and had no specific connection with McKinley's policies. McKinley was taken to the home of John Milburn, President of the Exposition, where he died eight days later, on September 14. His last words were "Good-bye--Good-bye, all. It is God's way. His will, not ours be done." He was buried in Canton, Ohio. The McKinley Memorial Association was established very quickly after the assassination of President McKinley in 1901. The site chosen for the Memorial was the site William McKinley himself favored as an appropriate location for a Stark County soldiers' memorial, high on a hill with a view of the city. Funds were raised and construction of the memorial began in 1905. President Theodore Roosevelt came to Canton for the dedication ceremonies on September 30, 1907. The design of the Memorial was created by Harold Van Buren Magonigle. Its neo-classic Greek style is a representation of the simplicity and dignity of McKinley's life and withstands the test of time. An aerial view of the Memorial and its grounds shows the cross of a martyr and the sword of a soldier president. The main steps and the circular drive form the upright portion of the cross and the side steps form the arms. The sword is formed by adding the Long Water to the cross. The Long Water and the junction of the guard and hilt of the sword or the center of the cross. (The water was removed in the 1950s due to poor water circulation. It is now landscaped as a large grassy area for visitors to enjoy.) Over two million bricks were used in the construction of the double-domed mausoleum. The interior dome measures 50 feet in diameter and is 75 feet high. The exterior dome is 75 feet in diameter and 95 feet high. Both the interior and the exterior domes are made of pink Milford granite from Massachusetts. Dominating the interior of the mausoleum is a double sarcophagi made of Windsor green granite with a base of black Berlin granite. An inscription encircling the edge of the dome is a quotation from the President's last speech, made in Buffalo: "Let us ever remember that our interest is in concord not conflict and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace not those of war." The McKinley children, Katie and Ida, were moved from their resting places in the adjacent West Lawn Cemetery to be entombed within the double walls at the rear of the Memorial. One hundred eight steps lead to the entrance of the mausoleum, arranged in four tiers conforming to the terraces on the hill. Two "block houses" at the base of the steps add balance to the design and provide service utility.

Scripophily

Dealer Accepts:

 

Shipping:

$5.00

Item Details:

  • Reference #
  • mrkinnatmema
  • Quantity
  • 1
  • Category
  • Coins & Currency
  • Department
  • Antiques
  • Year
  • See Description
  • Dimensions
  • Width: 0 inch
  • Height: 0 inch
  • Depth: 0 inch
  • Weight: 0 pound
  • Condition
  • See Description

Items Similar To "McKinley National Memorial Association 1902"