First National Bank of Media, Pennsylvania 1865 - Civil War Era

First National Bank of Media, Pennsylvania 1865 - Civil War Era

Click thumbnails for expanded view.

First National Bank of Media, Pennsylvania 1865 - Civil War Era

Add to Cart

  • $139.95

  • Quantity Available: 1

Beautifully engraved certificate from the First National Bank of Media, Pennsylvania issued in 1865. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of horses and an ealge by a shield. This item is hand signed by the Company’s President ( Isaac Halderman ) and Cashier and is over 137 years old. Media is the County Seat. It was incorporated as a borough on March 10, 1850 from Nether and Upper Providence Townships. It became the county seat of Delaware County after the removal of the county government from Chester in 1851. The land on which Media is located was bought by settlers Peter and William Taylor directly from William Penn. It remained largely farmland until the courthouse was erected in 1851 and the present commercial and residential districts grew up around the county offices. During the latter half of the nineteenth century Media became a famous summer resort for well to do Philadelphians. Several large vacation hotels were built including the Idlewild, the Chestnut Grove House and Brooke Hall. Due to its central location, as the county developed and transportation lines spread outward after 1900, Media grew as a thriving business and governmental center which it still remains today. Media has always been a town rich in historical association both national and local. Such well known figures in American history as abolitionist Lucretia Mott, William Jennings Bryan, President Zachary Taylor and Mrs. Ida McKinley were connected in some manner with the Media Borough. State Senator Thomas Cooper, Dr. Philip Jaisohn, Congressman John Broomall, historian George Smith, artist Charles Fussel and Minshall Painter all made their mark upon the character of Media and left it with a proud and honored legacy. In Media, Haldeman's Store was Constructed in 1854 by Isaac Halderman the first president of Media Borough Council. It started as a grocery and dry goods store. The First National Bank of Media had its original office there in 1864.

Scripophily

Dealer Accepts:

 

Shipping:

$5.00

Item Details:

  • Reference #
  • firnatbanofm3
  • Quantity
  • 1
  • Category
  • Coins & Currency
  • Department
  • Antiques
  • Year
  • See Description
  • Dimensions
  • Width: 0 inch
  • Height: 0 inch
  • Depth: 0 inch
  • Weight: 0 pound
  • Condition
  • See Description

Items Similar To "First National Bank of Media, Pennsylvania 1865 - Civil War Era"