Farmers and Mechanics' Bank of Georgetown, D.C. 1858-1861

Farmers and Mechanics' Bank of Georgetown, D.C. 1858-1861

Click thumbnails for expanded view.

Farmers and Mechanics' Bank of Georgetown, D.C. 1858-1861

Add to Cart

  • $14.95

  • Quantity Available: 1

Beautifully engraved check from the Farmers and Mechanics' Bank of Georgetown, D.C. issued in 1858-1861. This historic document is over 141 years old. The Farmers & Mcechanics Branch of Riggs dates back to 1814 when it was founded by a group of prominent Georgetown businessmen, among whose directors were George C. Washington (nephew of George Washington) and Romulus Riggs (uncle of George W. Riggs – partner of Corcoran & Riggs, the predecessors of Riggs National Bank) The bank was nationalized as the Farmers & Mechanics National Bank of Georgetown fifty-eight years later, in 1872. The bank conducted its business at 31st and M Streets, N.W., until 1922, when it moved to its present location. In 1927, it opened a branch at Wisconsin Avenue and Warren St., N.W., which since has become Riggs’ Friendship Branch. The bank merged with Riggs in December, 1928.

Scripophily

Dealer Accepts:

 

Shipping:

$5.00

Item Details:

  • Reference #
  • farandmecban
  • Quantity
  • 1
  • Category
  • Coins & Currency
  • Department
  • Antiques
  • Year
  • See Description
  • Dimensions
  • Width: 0 inch
  • Height: 0 inch
  • Depth: 0 inch
  • Weight: 0 pound
  • Condition
  • See Description

Items Similar To "Farmers and Mechanics' Bank of Georgetown, D.C. 1858-1861"