Very Fine Reverse Intaglio Crystal depicting `The Hunt’, early 20th century.
Fine Reverse Intaglio Crystal, ‘The Hunt’, American C.1950. The mount of riding crops and stirrups. Inscription to reverse 'Emily' 'Mrs. Ashby Farrow Charleston S.C.1950'. Measures: 2 x 1.5 inches. Ashem Farm, owned for years by the Ravenel family, Charleston, South Carolina. Emily Ravenel Farrow founded the St. Andrew’s Parish Riding Academy at Ashem before marrying John Ashby Farrow. John Ashby Farrow, was the son of Mrs. Ashby Farrow whose second husband was Washington Augustus Roebling (1837-1926), best known for his work on the Brooklyn Bridge and was one of the most distinguished engineers in America....famous works Niagara Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge. Emily and John made Ashem a second home to their grand city residence at South Battery’s William Gibbes House. Emily was a staunch supporter of Historic Charleston Foundation and in the 1980s, she and Ashby sold their downtown mansion to the Foundation. In 2005, Emily willed the property to the Lowcountry Open Land Trust. After donating many items in her collection to local museums and archives, Emily bequeathed the remainder of her estate with the intent that funds be used for preservation and conservation.