LIBYAN DESERT GLASS
Click thumbnails for expanded view.
THE HOGUP TRADE COMPANY
Libyan/Egyptian Desert Glass
Libyan desert glass (LDG), or great sand sea glass is a substance found in areas in the Libyan Desert. Fragments of desert glass can be found over large areas, up to tens of thousands of kilometers.
The origin of the glass is a controversial issue for the scientific community, with many evolving theories. Meteoritic origins for the glass were long suspected, and recent research linked the glass to impact mechanics, such as vaporized quartz and meteoritic metals, and to an impact crater. Some geologists associate the glass not with impact melt ejected, but with the melting from meteoric large aerial burst. Libyan desert glass has been dated as having formed about 26 million years ago. It was knapped and used as a tool during the Pleistocene Era and used by the ancient Egyptians for jewelry. An Example of which was discovered in King Tut's pectoral pendant.
This outstanding example is 3 1/4" by 2 1/2" by 3/4" thick. It has what appears to be small specs of meteorite imbedded in it. Please view photos for condition of the example. More photos upon request.
MAKE SURE YOU READ OUR ENTIRE TERMS of SALE LISTED BELOW.
Terms and Conditions of Sale
1) Payment; I DO NOT EXCEPT "E" CHECKS . DO NOT PAY UNTIL I HAVE SENT YOU AN INVOICE. You can make payment with PayPal with any credit or debit card or instant bank transfer. NO "E" CHECKS!!!! Payment is due prior to any items being shipped. Payment using PayPal 3% usage fee added, payment through Go Antiques 7% buyers fee added.
2) ) Shipping; We do not make ANY money off of this fee!! The shipping cost includes delivery to the post office, shipping materials either wrapping paper, bubble wrap and peanuts, priority mail, and tracking/ conformation. All items are insured for shipping "NO EXCEPTIONS". Most of the items we ship we use the postal service boxes which are free, but when we have to have a custom box or double the postal service boxes to make a larger container for your item then it costs more. If there is any remaining funds left over more than $1.00 we will refund it back to you. This item will also be sent with conformation, the number will be emailed to you for tracking purposes. We will only ship to confirmed addresses.
3) RETURNS: Item must be received back in the same condition as sent. A %100 refund for items found not to be authentic, this includes your authentication fees (provide original kill letter from authenticator) and shipping costs to and from authenticator, all other reasons refund made less S/H/I. We try to type each piece as best we can, but it is up to you the buyer to view the photos provided or ask for more to make the final determination as to what type of point, pottery, basket, or anything else you are buying is. If you return any artifact that has not been looked at by a qualified authenticator , your refund will be less S/H/I and any associated fees.
4) DAMAGED ITEMS: If you receive your item damaged please contact The Hogup Trade Company immediately, I will need photos of the damaged item, shipping container and packing material. I will then make a claim to the carrier. I will also need to have the damaged item returned and all shipping material so I can turn them over to the carrier for inspection. Once claim has been filed and approved and item has been returned I will refund all of your money including S/H/I.
- Plain City, Utah
- Seller Since 2001
- View Storefront
- View Seller Website
- Contact Seller About This Item
- View Store Policies
- Reference #
- Type / Pattern
- Width: 2.5 inches
- Height: 3.25 inches
- Depth: 0 inch
- Weight: 0 pound