LIBYAN DESERT GLASS
Click thumbnails for expanded view.
- Quantity Available: 1
THE HOGUP TRADE COMPANY
Libyan/Egyptian Desert Glass
Libyan desert glass (LDG), or great sand sea glass is a substance found in areas in the Libyan Desert. Fragments of desert glass can be found over large areas, up to tens of kilometers.
The origin of the glass is a controversial issue for the scientific community, with many evolving theories. Meteoritic origins for the glass were long suspected, and recent research linked the glass to impact mechanics, such as vaporized quartz and meteoritic metals, and to an impact crater. Some geologists associate the glass not with impact melt ejected, but with the melting from meteoric large aerial burst. Libyan desert glass has been dated as having formed about 26 million years ago. It was knapped and used as a tool during the Pleistocene Era and used by the ancient Egyptians for jewelry. An Example of which was discovered in King Tut's pectoral pendant.
This outstanding example is 3 1/4" by 2 1/2" by 3/4" thick. It has what appears to be small specs of meteorite imbedded in it. Please view photos for condition of the example. More photos upon request.
Terms and Conditions of Sale
MAKE SURE YOU READ OUR ENTIRE TERMS of SALE LISTED BELOW.
Please ask any questions or ask for more photos I will be happy to answer any questions you have if I can.
Postal insurance chart, insurance is mandatory for all items.
Amount for Merchandise Insurance Coverage Desired Price1
$0.01 to $50 $1.75
$50.01 to $100 $2.25
$100.01 to $200 $2.75
$200.01 to $300 $4.70
$300.01 to $400 $5.70
$400.01 to $500 $6.70
$500.01 to $600 $7.70
$600.01 to $5000 (maximum liability is $5,000) $7.70 plus $1.00 per $100 or fraction thereof over $600 in declared value
1) Shipping; for the most part is $10.00 for smaller items plus insurance and confirmation, this includes shipping materials either wrapping paper, bubble wrap and peanuts, priority mail, and tracking or conformation. Insurance is mandatory for the item, and is EXTRA. Based on the table listed above. Large items that require a custom box for shipping will also be extra and will be quoted at time of sale. We use US Postal Service priority mail for almost everything, large items may be sent UPS and shipping costs will be quoted at time of sale.
2) Payment; By mail only with personal or bank check or money order. All forms of payment must clear our bank prior to item being shipped. No exceptions.
3) GUARANTEE; I guarantee that all of the artifacts that I list to the best of my knowledge are legally obtained and are 100% authentic and unaltered in modern times unless otherwise noted, backed with a 30 day inspection period so you can have the item papered by a preferred authenticator.
4) RETURNS: A %100 refund for items found not to be authentic, this includes your authentication fees (provide original letter from authenticator) and shipping costs to and from authenticator, all other reasons refund made less S/H/I. So be sure that you know what you are looking at from the photos before you buy. Item must be received back in the same condition as sent. We try to type a piece as best we can, but it is up to you the buyer to view the photos provided or ask for more to make the final determination as to what type of point, pottery, basket, or anything else you are bidding on. WE DO NOT MAKE REFUNDS FOR BUYERS REMORSE.
5) DAMAGED ITEMS: If you receive your item damaged please contact the carrier and then contact us, we will supply all needed paper work on the insurance to the carrier. Once the paper work is finished you will be sent the insurance check.
Thank you and good luck
- Plain City, Utah
- View Storefront
- View Seller Website
- Contact Seller About This Item
- View Store Policies
- Reference #
- Type / Pattern
- Width: 2.5 inches
- Height: 3.25 inches
- Depth: 0 inch
- Weight: 0 pound