GEORGE HOBBS LANDSCAPE (American, 1846-1929)
George Thompson Hobbs (American, 1846-1929) was a Philadelphia painter, born to architect Isaac H. Hobbs and Mary W. Hobbs. By 1866, George T. Hobbs had followed his father's lead and become an architect and by 1891 the firm's name was changed to Isaac H. Hobbs & Son to reflect his participation. However, the younger Hobbs always continued his interest in painting while working as an architect. During the 1870s, he studied painting at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and in 1883 studied with Bouguereau & Robert-Fleury at the Academie Julian in Paris. In 1887 he retired from the profession of architecture in favor of the profession of painter. He also was a picture restorer. This landscape depicting a path in the woods measures 20 x 26 inches, sight size, and 24 x 30 inches, framed. The painting is signed lower left and verso reads "Woodland Path By Geo T Hobbs size 20 x 26". Because Hobbs was a Philadelphia artist, this painting could be a leafy section of Fairmount Park, maybe even more specifically the Wissahickon.