was painted in 1895 by Frederic Lord Leighton (1830-1896) and has become one of his most recognizable oil paintings. This is a print of
mounted on poster board and measures 27.50 H X 27.00 W. The painting was originally intended to adorn a marble bath in one of Leightons other works,
, however he became so attached to the design that he decided to create it as a painting in its own right.
captures the mood, color and physical beauty that were predominant in his work.
Frederic Lord Leighton was a leader of the Victorian classical school of painting and received his training in Brussels, Paris and Frankfurt. He originally painted historical paintings, however he turned to painting mythological subjects in the late 1860s. The timing coincided with the publics sudden interest in Hellenism thus popularizing his mythological paintings.