Carson Pirie Scott & Company
Click thumbnails for expanded view.
Beautifully engraved SPECIMEN certificate from the Carson Pirie Scott & Company. This historic document was printed by the Columbian Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of the one of the company's stores. This item has the printed signatures of the Companys President and Secretary.
Certificate Vignette In 1854, Samuel Carson left Ireland and opened a dry goods store called Carson Pirie & Company in Amboy, Illinois. In 1871, a horrible fire destroyed 60 percent of the Carson Pirie & Company stock. In 1889, a man named Peter A. Bergner opened the first Bergners in downtown Peoria, Illinois. In 1938, Bergners was acquired by the Maus and Nordmann families of Switzerland, maintaining the Bergners name. Bergners purchased the Charles V. Weise Company in Rockford, Illinois in 1954. After this acquisition, Bergners and Weises annual volume was $10 million across nine stores. Throughout the 1950s, 60s, and 70s Bergners continued its successful growth pattern, culminating in the acquisition of eight stores from Myers Brothers Company in south central Illinois in 1978. The merger of the Bergners and Myers businesses became official in 1982, and the companys name was changed to P.A. Bergner & Co. In 1985, P.A. Bergner & Co. purchased Boston Store from Federated Department Stores, Inc. The combined sales volume ranked P.A. Bergner & Co. in the top third of retail department stores nationwide. In 1987, Carson Pirie & Company merged with Donaldsons, a department store based in Minneapolis, forming a new retail corporation.
- Fairfax, Virginia
- Seller Since 1995
- View Storefront
- View Seller Website
- Contact Seller About This Item
- View Store Policies
- Reference #
- Coins & Currency
- See Description
- Width: 0 inch
- Height: 0 inch
- Depth: 0 inch
- Weight: 0 pound
- See Description
Items Similar To "Carson Pirie Scott & Company"
Carson City Morgan Dollars, 2nd Ed by: Adam Crum, Selby Ungar, Jeff Oxman
Manhattan - Carson Mining & Milling Company 1906 - Carson City, Nevada
State Controller's Warrant 1880's - Carson City, Nevada
South Central Consolidated Gold Mining and Milling Company 1895
Nevada State Controllers Warrant 1884 - Carson City