Antique English Silver Tea & Coffee Set London 1875
Click thumbnails for expanded view.
- Item Not Available
An exquisite four piece antique silver four piece tea & coffee set with hallmarks for 1875 and the makers mark of the renowned silversmiths Martin Hall of Sheffield.
This is a truly exquisite set with beautiful engraved decoration, the cream and sugar having the original gilding on the interior.
This set weighs approx 66 troy oz.
The Teapot pot is 15 cm tall.
The Coffee pot is 24 cm tall.
This set is in excellent condition and ready to use.
Martin Hall History
The origin of the firm is in the partnership established in 1820 in Sheffield by Henry Wilkinson and John Roberts who traded as Wilkinson & Roberts. Wilkinson left the business in 1836 and in 1846 John Roberts entered in partnership with Ebenezer Hall (his apprentice in 1836) under the style Roberts & Hall.
In 1854 entered into the partnership Richard Martin (of Martin Brothers & Naylor) and Joshua Hall (brother of Ebenezer Hall) under the style Martin, Hall & Co. In 1866 the firm was converted into a Ltd.
The factory was active at Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street Park, Sheffield with showrooms in London (where they were listed as manufacturing silversmiths and electroplated manufacturers, silver, plated and steel cutlers), Sydney, Birmingham and Glasgow.
The firm partecipated to the 1851 Great Exhibition, the Internation Exhibition (1862), the Sydney Exhibition (1879), the Melboune Exhibition (1881) and the 1915 British Industries Fair.
Besides its sterling silver and electroplated items the firm had a successful cheap line of production on a patented white metal called "Martinoid".
Items made by Martin, Hall & Co were retailed by Wordley & Co - Liverpool, Ball & Edwards - Birmingham, Henry Ellis & Son - Exeter, Charles Nephew & Co - Calcutta, West & Son - Dublin, Goldsmiths Alliance Ltd - Cornhill, Pearce & Co - Leeds, Mappin Brothers - London, George Edward & Sons - Glasgow, James Aitchinson - Edinburgh, Mackay & Chisholm - Edinburgh and many other firms.
After WWI and a brief association of interests with Gladwin Ltd the firm went in liquidation and was struck off the register in 1936 (according to another source the business was sold to Frank Cobb & Co in 1931/1932).
Shipping:Negotiated with Seller
- Reference #
- Width: 0 inch
- Height: 0 inch
- Depth: 0 inch
- Weight: 0 pound