32.5779 Pair of Italian Baroque Giltwood Mirrors c. 1691
THIS MATCHING PAIR OF MIRRORS IS OVER 400 YEARS OLD. PROVENANCE: These magnificent pieces were commissioned as a wedding present for Prince Johann Wilhelm Joseph Van Der Pfalz, Elector of the Palantine, and Princess Anna Maria Luisa Dei Medici of Tuscany, Florence, Italy. Each mirror is the same size but has different motifs representing both sides of the marriage. Adrian Van Der Werff (1659-1722) completed and delivered them in June, 1691. Each is carved with objects symbolizing the qualities and attributes of the couple. His mirror depicts a peace trophy for Ceres, the Goddess of Peace and Prosperity. The frame also includes a chain for the Order of the Golden Fleece, which the Prince was elected to as a Knight in 1685 and vested by the Emperor in 1696. Hers depicts a medallion chain with portraits of the family of the Princess. Other elements include the lily symbolizing the flower of Florence and the balls on the shield representing the Medici family, the ruling entity in central Italy.